Saturday, April 7, 2018

Podcasts in the Library and the Classroom

Podcasts have become popular amongst people that want to gain or share information, knowledge, and ideas. Others just listen to relax and enjoy a good conversation. Podcasts are digital audio files delivered through the internet, is like on demand talk radio but with specific selections of topics by the listener. Listening to podcasts allows the listener to catch up on their preferred subject while doing other tasks.
There are multiple ways to integrate podcasting into the school library program. Some librarians are using it to hold virtual bookclubs. Some critique books, others answer questions about books, or give advice on readings. Librarians can use podcasts to inform students or read them a book about different topics they are studying in the classroom in order to go deeper into the content. School librarians that are good story tellers use it to sharpen students' listening skills and get them excited about reading. Give students opportunity to express themselves in relation to literature by having them create one on their own. Make sure to focus on the content and that is relevant to students' needs.
There are plenty of free sites an apps that lets you create podcasts for free to help you get started experimenting.  I will critique three platforms and tell you why I chose one over the other.

Podbean

Podbean is very simple to use. There is no technology to learn or software to download. To create mine, I recorded an audio, saved it to my device, login to Podbean, then simply just upload it. Done! Podbean gives you a limited space to create free podcasts, after using it you have to upgrade. I have been using Podbean for over two years, so in order not to pay for an upgrade I just delete old podcasts to make room for new ones. Is easy to share your podcast in Podbean, once you are done uploading it you have the choice to publish, save, edit, or delete. Options to share your podcast include download, email, post to social media, or embed. It provides user guides and live chats services, I have't had the need for them yet.
Below is a podcast I created in Podbean where I introduce the new book for our novel study.


SoundCloud

SoundCloud is a great source for students with background on audio creation. A recording platform and editing tools is provided so there is no need for a separate app or application. What I dislike about it some of the content is inappropriate for school, which brings up safety issues. Another issue is that you olny get a 15 day free trial.

Podomatic

Podomatic has the best visual format. Whithin a few clicks I downloaded, named, and published within minutes. Is very easy to navigate, I spent very little time figuring out how it works. I can see students using this tool with minimal teacher assistance. Podomatic uses Flash to access your device microphone and computer. It does not offer editing tools, so if you want more control you have to use other editing tools and then upload your recording to Podomatic.

Out of the three platforms I prefer Podbean. I like the simplicity and the free account is enough to help your school library get started implementing podcasting in your services.

Here a a few link where you can find educational podcasts to gain information and ideas.




No comments: