Saturday, November 26, 2016

14 Cows for America


Deedy, Carmen Agra. (2009). 14 Cows for America. Atlanta, GA: Peachtree Publishers.

Genre: Non-Fiction
Lexile Level: AD540L
DRA: 40
AR: 2.2


Summary: Kimeli returns to his remote village in Kenya, where news travel slowly. He comes from New York, where he's learning to be a doctor. He brings heartbreaking news to his people, the Maasai, the attack of 911 in America. The Maasai are fierce warriors, but they are easily moved by kindness. They decide to offer America 14 cows as a gift of friendship, comfort, and peace. Cows for the Maasai represent life. The cows are their most value possession because it keeps the tribe alive. The American ambassador travels to Kenya to receive the precious gifts and a connection between the two cultures was made. 



Reader Response: I first learned about this true story when I visited the 911 Memorial in NYC. The museum displays a picture of the American Flag commemorating the gift of the Maasai cows and the story behind it. I was moved by the story in the museum, so when I found the Deedy's book, I was overjoyed to share it with my students and teach them about 911 in a way that shows friendship and making sacrifices for others in need. Carmen Deedy does a great job of explaining 911 events to children, but at the same time teaching love, respect, and friendship.

This special flag commemorating the gift of Maasai cow is on display at the U.S Embassy in Kenya and at the National September 11 Memorial & Museum at the World Trade Center in NYC.

Other books by Carmen Agra Deedy:

Text to Text: Home of the Brave by Katherine Applegate


No comments: